Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Little victories...

OK, I wanted to share that I just decided to try the soup that I canned last month. I have to admit I was a little afraid as I had not canned anything with meat in it before. I made a beef barley soup with veggies. I popped open the lid (good sign that it "popped"!), smelled it (smelled great!), and heated it up on my stove. I loved it! I hope I am still here to can some more (hoping there was no unseen/unsmelled ickies in my canned soup!). I was skeptical about having the barley in there but it was not bad; a little soft but still good.



I have also canned some dandelion jelly. Camille and I picked dandelions (and violets but that did not work out this time - will need more violets next time) and made the infusion. The first attempt at gelling did not work, I re-cooked it with more pectin today and it gelled nicely! I cannot wait to try it... it has a wonderful honey scent!


This is a great thing for me. I REALLY want to make sure I have homemade goodness overflowing my pantry!!

No comments:

Post a Comment